Please submit your application via this link: https://us231.dayforcehcm.com/CandidatePortal/en-US/sdzwa/Posting/View/13840
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The General Maintenance Worker supports San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance's (SDZWA) mission and vision of saving species worldwide. Our Hawai'i Centers, the Keauhou Bird Conservation Center and the Maui Bird Conservation Center, are essential in upholding SDZWAʻs vision and leading the fight against extinction of Hawai'i's critically endangered birds. The General Maintenance Worker is a key position at each center and performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled work in the areas of maintenance, construction, alteration, remodeling and repair of buildings, facilities, equipment, and grounds as required and appropriate to each location (MBCC or KBCC). This person will report to the Wildlife Care Supervisor at each facility.
This is a skilled, journey-level class in any of the following areas: electrical, plumbing, painting, carpentry, cement/masonry, etc., but all positions are expected to assist in the performance of duties other than those in their own specific craft. A general working knowledge for the remaining trades is necessary.
This person is expected to have general knowledge and skills in all maintenance areas, and the ability to work independently and think logically to solve maintenance and repair problems including knowing when to hire and coordinate work with outside contractors. They need to be able to maintain positive working relationships with the entire team and will be expected to assist avian recovery specialists to ensure a safe and functioning environment for all.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Installs, maintains, and makes or coordinates repairs to:
- Masonry and Masonry Structures – including wood framing and carpentry.
- Electrical systems - including motors, solar panels, lighting circuits, control equipment, generators, automatic gates, transformers, appliances.
- HVAC – including filtration and duct maintenance.
- Plumbing – including pipes, pipe connections, water catchment systems, sprinkler, and irrigation systems.
- Metal structures – including wire mesh, rust mitigation.
- Maintain grounds, trees, greenhouse structures and general area of the facility, including composting and trash removal.
- Maintain safety program, preventative maintenance program, and repair/maintenance logs including but not limited to the following:
- Works with other staff to plan and prioritize maintenance tasks.
- Creating work logs, schedules, and maintenance records.
- Keep workshop and tools, clean, safe, and orderly.
- Maintain wildlife care and breeding facilities in compliance with mandatory and industry best practice standards per the USDA, IACUC, etc.
- Perform pest control maintaining pig trapping and removal, rat/rodent control by using pesticide, rodenticide and traps.
- Assist in maintenance of doors and locks across facility.
- Assist with troubleshooting, installation, repairs, or coordination of repairs to Audio Visual equipment across facility.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- JOB EXPERIENCE
- Must have at least two years’ experience in related field required.
- EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Current valid Hawaii Driver’s License required.
- SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Strong working knowledge of methods, practices, and procedures in one or more of the building and construction trades – specific knowledge in area of expertise and general knowledge of other trades required.
- Strong working knowledge of tools, equipment and materials used in one or more of the building and construction trades required.
- Familiarity with work and material estimating required. Working knowledge of local building code to ensure installation and maintenance compliance required.
- Demonstrated ability to safely and properly handle and operate the tools and equipment used in the assigned tasks required.
- Ability to make simple arithmetic calculations required.
- Demonstrated ability to tactfully and courteously interact with others in a diverse environment required.
- Ability to understand, interpret and work from blueprints and drawings required.
- Familiarity with common tools and equipment safety required.
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Location: Makawao, Hawaii
- Position Type: Hourly Full-Time Non-Exempt Temporary Position
- Hourly Range: $31.15 to $34.44